Take a close look at the pictures above. I'm about to out myself to the Patch Nation about a guilty pleasure of mine: I love decorating for Christmas. So much so that I want to do it for other people. My wife absolutely loves the fact that she doesn't have to do a thing when it comes to Christmas Decorating, mainly cause I won't let her, but we have an understanding about it all.
Every year when Thanksgiving rolls around we decorate for Christmas that day. It's become the tradition around our place each year. I can't make myself do it earlier mainly because I have one requirement and that is that radio stations have to be playing Christmas music or it just isn't right otherwise.
My kids absolutely love it because it means several things to them:
1) Santa will be coming soon so it's time to whip into shape
2) Ellie (our Elf on the Shelf) visits to keep tabs on them for Santa, so again, time to whip into shape.
3) They get to look at cool lights and ornaments that they can brake at any time they please while driving mommy and daddy insane in the process.
I honestly can say that I have my own reasons for doing the Christmas Decorations each year:
1) I want my wife to not have to stress about one more thing than what she already has to do from day to day
2) Maybe, just maybe, I like hanging stockings and putting up the tree and tying handmade bows because it shows a lighter side to my otherwise mean demeanor.
3) The biggest reason of all is seeing my kids faces light up in wonder after its all done. They love Christmas lights and the story that they tell through how they are lit.
Each year I tell my son Joey a made up Christmas story about an individual Christmas light who works so hard to shine brighter than the other lights, but winds up burning himself out. The little light has to learn to be happy with who he is and how he fits in with his family (the other lights in the strand) to shine bright, so when Joey sees the Christmas lights he just gets so excited.
We also take our kids to see the Lake Lanier Island Magical Nights of Lights each year. Driving through nearly 7 miles of lights never gets old for these two. And even though they're pretty much the same lights each year they still love them just the same. They just can't get enough.
So, as you can see I have my reasons for wanting to do my part as far as Christmas goes each year. My kids adore Christmas, not just for the lights and gifts, but also for the true reason: Jesus' Birth. You see without Christ none of this would be happening or celebrated. Even though the world has forgotten the real reason we celebrate, we still celebrate with praise and joy each Christmas Season. As a matter of fact, you can Celebrate with us this year at a Benefit concert for Danita's Children in Haiti by The Desert Rose Rock Orchestra. This is a Christmas Rock Concert inspired by the music of the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Also, you can join us Christmas Eve at Graystone Church's Christmas Eve Services since we'll be having 4 services over 2 days: Sunday December 23rd at 5:00pm and 6:30pm and Monday December 24th at 3:30pm and 5:00pm. We would look forward to having you!
So as the Christmas Season rapidly approaches be sure you make time for the special people in your life and make time to celebrate the real reason for the season!