Walton County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Keith Brooks confirmed that five men are in custody in connection with Tuesday's shooting in Monroe. Brooks said that early investigations reveal that the victim, , was lured to the location on Mountain Creek Church Road in Monroe on the pretext of a drug deal. Hickman, however, owed one of the subjects money.
Brooks said at some point the incident escalated and shots were fired, hitting Hickman several times. He was able to drive away, but eventually stopped and collapsed on the roadway. A passing motorist called 911.
- Tevin Antwone Atkinson, Monroe – charged with party to crime and aggravated assault
- Ronnie Scott Culbreath, Monroe – charged with party to crime and aggravated assault
- Kevin C Nuhaw, Monroe - charged with aggravated assault
- Randall Lee Cabe, Monroe – charged with aggravated assault
- Daniel Lee Dill, Loganville – charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery.
Brooks said further charges and arrests are pending. He said the drug deal that went bad involved prescription drugs. Brooks said at this time Hickman remains in an area hospital in critical condition. He was known to authorities, having been arrested several times in the past. According to jail records in Gwinnett County, Hickman has lived in several locations, including Florida, Stone Mountain and Loganville.
- Gwinnett man in critical condition following a Monroe shooting
- Identity of Shooting Victim Released