President's Day: Facts, Figures and More
Patch takes a look at some facts about U.S. presidents, the richest presidents and deals to be had this President's Day.
Here's a sampling of 44 lesser-known facts about U.S. presidents compiled by The Huffington Post.
- Presidential dentures: Our first president had false teeth made of gold, ivory, lead and animal teeth but not wood.
- Monrovia: The capitol of Liberia was named for James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States.
- Cursing parrot: Andrew Jackson taught his parrot to curse.
- Old Rough And Ready: This was a nickname given to Zachary Taylor, our nation's 12th president, by soldiers with whom he was serving in the U.S. military.
- Speeding ticket on horseback: Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th president, is said to have received a $20 ticket for riding his horse too fast.
- Artificial jaw: Grover Cleveland, who served as 22nd and 24th president, had one made of vulcanized rubber.
- Model president: Gerald Ford and his wife Betty were both fashion models, with the 38th president even posing for a Cosmopolitan cover.
- Two-time Grammy winner: That would be 42nd president Bill Clinton, who received the 2004 Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album For Children with Mikhail Gorbachev and Sophia Loren and the 2005 Best Spoken Word Grammy for the audiobook version of his autobiography.
Click here for more facts about U.S. presidents.
Who do you think tops the list of the nation's 10 richest presidents of all time? Here's a hint: Only one is still living. He makes the list at No. 9 with a net worth of $55 million. Click here to read the list, which reflects what the deceased president's net worth would have been in 2010. The richest president would have amassed a net worth of $525 million.
Use the following codes to score discounts from retailers while you're shopping online this President's Day, and click here for more savings:
- Macy's: 15 percent off, with some exclusions, using the code PRES
- Sears: 15 percent off spring fashions with code ABELINCOLN
- Pfaltzgraff: 15 percent off kitchen supplies with the code 13FEBPRES