Monroe Utilities to Offer Higher Speed Internet Access
The Monroe City Council is expected to approve Monroe Utilities Department offering two upgrades on the current Internet access speeds.
Monroe Utilities is expected to be offering customers higher speed Internet access. Two more upgrades would be available in addition to the three packages already offered through MONROEACCESS.NET.
Monroe currently offers the following:
- VALUE - $21.95 a month 1mbps downstream / 256kbps upstream
- STANDARD - $34.95 a month 6mbps downstream / 512kbps upstream
- MAX - $44.95 a month 15mbps downstream / 1mbps upstream
The MAX package, which is the top package currently offered, includes unlimited internet access, up to three email accounts, and a static IP address upon request. According to the website, this is ideal for the heavy internet user who is downloading or playing online games on a regular basis.
At the work session on Tuesday, Feb. 5, Brian Thompson, director of Electric and Telecom, said he had received requests for increased speed and found it to be a relatively easy adjustment to make. If approved at Tuesday's City Council meeting, the two additional upgrades would be:
- $69.95 a month for 25mbps downstream / 2mbps upstream
- $99.95 a month for 50mbps downstream / 3mbps upstream
An item on the consent agenda for Monday's City Council meeting would approve the upgrades. Thompson said it could be made available almost immediately.
This and other items on the consent agenda include:
- Renewal - Property & Casualty Insurance - Leave with Companion. (Recommended for Council approval by Finance Committee February 5, 2013)
- Renewal - Ancillary Insurance Dental & Life - Adopt as presented. (Recommended for Council approval by Finance Committee February 5, 2013)
- Approval - Surplus Items - To surplus on GovDeals. (Recommended for Council approval by Public Works Committee February 5, 2013)
- Approval - Capital Expenditures - Purchase of email / billing servers, office phone system, and print server not to exceed $173,000. Website update not to exceed $6,000. Meter testing equipment not to exceed $20,000. Replacement vehicles for utility department not to exceed $115,000. (Recommended for Council approval by Utilities Committee February 5, 2013)
- Approval - Digital Fees - To adopt the schedule of fees and charges for digital services and equipment as presented. (Recommended for Council approval by Utilities Committee February 5, 2013)
- Approval - Internet Charges - Approval of the addendum to the schedule of fees for high speed internet. (Recommended for Council approval by Utilities Committee February 5, 2013)
Other agenda items include:
Public Hearing includes the following items:
- Renewal - Health Insurance
- Adopt - Resolution & MOA Hitachi
- Resolution - Safety Policy
- Resolution - CDBG 2013
- Approval - Local Legislation
- Discussion / Approval - GEFA Financing
The meeting is at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 at Monroe City Hall, 215 N. Broad St., Monroe.