'Explosive' Video from Monroe Fire Department
“HOT” Simulator at the Monroe, Ga. Fire Department is intended to educate about kitchen fires. The equipment demonstrates why water should never be thrown on a grease fire.
Monroe Fire Department has a new piece of equipment that it believes can help cut down on the number of fires in homes, especially those that start in the kitchen.
“The best fires we fight are the ones that never start”, said Captain Jack Armstrong of the Monroe Fire Department. He was referencing a new “explosive” stove fire simulator the department is using to educate the community about the dangers of fires in the kitchen. The simulator is one of several items the department has invested in to help educate the public about preventing fires.
The common perception is that if there is a fire, water is the best way to extinguish it. This, however, is not the way to extinguish a grease fire. The simulator clearly demonstrates why. According to Bill Owens, public information officer for the MFD, grease fires can best be extinguished by using an ABC Fire Extinguisher, placing a lid/plate on the pot, or covering with flour.
Owens said almost 60 percent of all structure fires start in the kitchen and almost 90 percent of those fires are cooking related. The MFD was awarded the Chesney Fallen Firefighter Memorial Grant in July from the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation (GFBF) to pay for the simulator. The GFBF was started by Dekalb County firefighters in 1982 to help burn survivors in recovery and to prevent burn injuries.
Groups or organizations that wish for a live demonstration should contact the Monroe Fire Department at 770-267-4446.